Everything You Need To Know About Shipping Oversized Vehicles
Here are the basics of shipping oversized vehicles
Move Car offers oversize vehicle shipping. This takes slightly longer than traditional car shipping. This is because it takes more time to load larger vehicles onto the carriers and the slower speed that the vehicle carrier must drive during transit. You should therefore plan ahead and book your oversized vehicle shipment. You will have plenty of time to find a vehicle that can transport a larger load.
Because a bus or other large vehicle is difficult to transport, it requires a flatbed to be attached to the truck. A flatbed is required because traditional auto carriers are unable to accommodate large vehicles. These flatbed carriers can transport only one large vehicle at a given time, while regular car shipping can haul up to ten vehicles. Shipping an oversized vehicle will usually cost slightly more than regular car shipping.
Pickup for an oversized vehicle is also more complicated than for a regular car. Pre-existing damage inspections will take longer, and loading the vehicle onto the carrier will take longer. This is why it's important to plan ahead and ensure that your vehicle is accessible for your driver.
What types of large vehicles can I transport with an auto transport company?
Contact us for a free quote or more information about your oversized vehicle shipment.
Tips for shipping an over-sized vehicle
These tips will help you prepare your shipment for oversized vehicles.
- Be prepared with specific information about the vehicle when you call for a quote. It is essential to have all information available when you call to discuss your shipment. Particularly, provide the dimensions of your oversized vehicle as well as the make and model. Your vehicle's weight will likely not be an issue as long as your vehicle shipping representative has the dimensions and make and model. This will enable your auto transport company to find a carrier capable of carrying your large vehicle.
- Has your vehicle been cleaned before your driver arrives to pick it up? Before the transportation process begins, your auto carrier driver will inspect the vehicle for pre-existing damage. This process can take longer if your vehicle is dirty.
- Check that everything is working. Before your large vehicle is picked up, make sure it is operating as it should. Before you book your shipment, notify your auto transport company if there are any problems.
- Take all personal items out of the vehicle. Any insurance that you have for your vehicle shipment does not cover personal items lost or damaged during shipping. This includes items like glasses, jewelry, gloves, and other personal belongings.
- Check that your pick-up location has sufficient space. You may find more space than you need in the area where your large vehicle will be shipped. It must be easily accessible by an auto carrier. The driver must also be able to move your vehicle onto the carrier. This should be discussed with your auto transport company before you make any decisions.
Although shipping oversized vehicles can take longer and cost more, it is not difficult and takes less time if you prepare properly. Larger vehicles can be shipped almost anywhere in the United States. It is better to ship the vehicle yourself, especially if you are driving a long distance. For more information on our shipping of oversized vehicles, give us a call to receive a quote.