Posted on 10/24/22

What Are The Requirements To Become An Auto Transporter

What Are The Requirements To Become An Auto Transporter

Every day, thousands of people move their cars around the country. Many people need a car to move their cars around the country, whether they are moving for work, college, or simply for fun. Some people are not able to drive the car and prefer to have the keys handed to an auto transporter who will deliver it safely to its destination. Although auto transporters are known by many different names, such as car shippers or carriers, their ultimate goal is to safely and efficiently transport vehicles from one place to the next.

Although it may sound simple, transporting an automobile is not easy. However, picking up, transporting, and unloading vehicles can be a huge responsibility that could lead to liability. To safely do this job, you need to have specialized training and certifications. To legally operate as an autotransporter, professionals must obtain special licensing such as motor carrier permits or Department of Transportation (DOT number).

This post will explain what licenses, permits, and identification numbers auto-transporters must have before they can start their business. We have some tips for anyone looking to hire an auto transporter to move their car. These are valuable tips, whether you are looking to become a motor carrier or hire one to move your car.

Auto Transport Licenses

You will need to have a variety of licenses, permits, and credentials in order to operate any type of motor vehicle. This is especially true if the vehicle is being used commercially or for transporting personal property. CDLs and DOT numbers are common terms. However, it is possible to legally run a car shipping company without additional documentation. Below, we'll discuss each one. Be aware that requirements and terms may differ from one state to the next.

These are the conditions drivers must meet to be an auto transporter.

  • Commercial driver's license (CDL).
  • Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration registration
  • Number of motor carriers (assigned to FMCSA registration).
  • Number of the United States Department of Transportation (USDOT).

Commercial driver's license (CDL).

A commercial driver's license (CDL) is required for most auto transporters. This license is in addition to the state driver's permit. There are three types of CDLs available: Class A, B, and C. This is determined by the vehicle's size and the type of cargo being transported. A CDL is the most common type of CDL that auto transporters can use.

Drivers must pass a training program in order to obtain a CDL. They also need to meet all the requirements of their state for commercial drivers. Learn more about How to obtain a commercial driver’s license.

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration registration

Next on the checklist for auto transporters is registration with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. The FMCSA must register commercial vehicles that transport cargo across state lines. Many states also require a USDOT number. (More information in the next section). The FMCSA ensures that motor carrier regulations and safety are adhered to.

These licenses and registrations also require insurance. "All applicants for motor carrier, freight forwarder,and broker authority must file an application for operating authorization before the FMCSA will issue authorities. The filings required vary depending on the type of registration. ( Motor carriers may have to file public liability insurance in order to receive FMCSA authorization.

An FMCSA license means that the FMCSA administration will monitor the driver and ensure they follow the guidelines.

Number of the United States Department of Transportation (USDOT).

FMCSA registration and USDOT numbers often go hand-in-hand. For vehicles exceeding a specified gross vehicle weight and involved in interstate commerce, a USDOT number will be required. These numbers are used to identify a driver or transport company and allow them to collect safety information, audits, and compliance reviews as well as vehicle inspections and crash investigations.

47 states require a USDOT Number for both intrastate and interstate commercial vehicles. These requirements guarantee that you will need a USDOT number to be a licensed auto transporter.

Motor carrier number

Motor carrier (MC) numbers, not to be confused with a USDOT number, are used to identify carriers transporting regulated commodities. The DOT number identifies a carrier that operates between states. The MC number indicates that they are authorized to transport cargo across state borders. It's common for auto transporters to have both an MC number and a DOT number.

These are the essential requirements to be an auto transporter. You can learn more about specific registrations and licenses, or apply for an auto transporter license, by visiting the FMCSA webpage. You will find instructions for how to register with FMCSA or USDOT, how you can get an MC number, and other resources that will help you get started.

Brokers of auto transport

After a driver has been registered as an autotransporter, they have the option to choose to work with an agent. Auto transport brokers such as Move Car can help you find car carriers in your area. Many customers who need to ship their vehicle across the country prefer to work with a broker. This eliminates the hassle of trying to contact carriers and compare multiple rates. A broker will often be able to offer a lower rate because they have multiple carriers competing for your business.

Auto transport brokers, just like individual transport companies and carriers, must also have their own licensing. Reputable auto transportation brokers will be registered with both the FMCSA (Department of Transportation) and have their own USDOT numbers. They will often verify that their carriers are licensed and insured to ensure that both the broker as well as the customer have the peace of mind that the vehicles are safe.

Auto transport brokers must be bonded in addition to having their licenses. Bonds are required by law to ensure that car shipper receive their wages. The DOT and FMCSA require bonding and licensing to ensure that all parties involved in the transport of autos are legally operating and can be held responsible for their actions.

These permits and licenses are designed to ensure that drivers comply with the law and take full responsibility for all vehicles they have. These licenses can be used to monitor and track commercial drivers in the country, as well as verify that they are reliable businesses. It is important to review the licensing of vehicle shipping companies before you choose a reliable auto transport company.

Tips to choose a reliable auto transport company

After you have confirmed that the auto transport company is licensed and insured to ship your vehicle, you will want to learn more about what type of experience you can expect from them.

Customer reviews are one of the best ways to find out about a company. Take a look at online reviews to find out more about a company. Keep in mind how many reviews there are and what the average rating is. Also, you should look at reviews about other customers who have done similar moves to yours. Does the company have any experience with moving vehicles like yours? Do they have a track record of successfully transporting specialty vehicles like an ATV or motorcycle? You should ensure that you are satisfied with the company you choose.

Another great resource is the Better Business Bureau (BBB). It will let you know what customer service experience to expect. The BBB keeps track of reviews and company performance and gives them a rating. The BBB doesn't usually keep records of licenses and certifications for transport companies, but they can tell if the company is honest and delivers on its promises.

Are you ready to get your vehicle registered?

You can now plan your move with confidence knowing how to locate the best auto transport company. Move Car has a network of highly vetted carriers that can ship your car or truck across state lines or across the nation.

Move Car is an authorized and bonded transportation management firm. Move Car not only insures your vehicle with the cargo carrier but also offers contingent cargo insurance which covers you up to $250,000. Our track record of success is evident by the 64,000+ customer reviews and an A+ rating from BBB. To learn more, get an instant quote now.