Should You Ship Or Sell Your Car If You Are Moving
Transport your car during a move
Driving hundreds of miles is something you don't want to think about when you move. You have two options if you wish to avoid that stress: either you can ship your car wherever you are going or you can sell it.
You can schedule pickup and delivery online for your vehicle if you decide to ship it. Some companies will allow you to transport some personal items in your vehicle, provided they do not exceed seventy-five lbs and are kept below the window limit.
After you have decided to ship your vehicle and booked your shipment, there are a few things you need to do before you can begin to plan for the rest of your move. You will need to ensure that your vehicle is in good condition and that your license is valid.
Before you move, sell your car
You have an alternative option if you don't want to drive across the country while you move. Selling your car is more difficult than shipping it. If you are planning on purchasing a car in the future, it will be more costly.
The car's value will drop if you own it for a long time. Selling it will net you only a fraction of the original price. If you don't buy the vehicle in the last year, you will lose at least half the amount you paid.
Tips for shipping your car in a move
Before you start the auto transportation process, here are some things you need to know:
- Make sure you book your shipment as soon as possible. This will increase your chances of getting the pickup and drop-off times that you desire. You will also be able to save a little money because the closer you book to the shipping date, the more expensive your car shipping will be.
- Wash the car - Before your car driver arrives, they will inspect the vehicle for any pre-existing damage. This inspection may take longer if the car is filthy.
- Talk to a car shipping representative about the pickup and drop-off locations. Sometimes streets are too narrow for car carriers or they might be prohibited from driving down certain streets. Before you decide on the pickup and drop-off locations of your shipment, make sure you have this conversation with your representative and your driver.
- Take out personal items. Personal items that are damaged or lost during the shipping of a car will not be covered under car shipping insurance. It is better to remove these items from your car before it is picked up for transport. This includes jewelry, sunglasses, CDs, and other items.
- Book the shipment as soon as you receive your quote. As we have mentioned, the cost of shipping will rise the longer you wait. Book immediately if you feel that your quote is fair.
Shipping your car while you move is more cost-effective than selling it or buying a new one once you reach your destination. You should prepare your car for shipment by cleaning it, getting it ready for pickup, and getting your personal belongings out of the car. Move Car can provide a free quote right away if you are interested in shipping your car.