How To Ship Car Transmissions And What To Search For
Do you need to ship a transmission? It is possible, but not as simple as shipping a book box. You will need to take extra precautions to ship transmissions safely, as they contain hazardous materials.
LTL or less than a truckload
This is how your engine will likely be transported. LTL is for freight items weighing 150 pounds or less, unlike FTL (full truck load). Multiple shippers will use the same carrier to transport goods from one place to another. LTL is a shared load that includes multiple stops. Prices will vary depending on how far you live from shipping terminals and whether you use a pallet or crate to ship, but the average price is $300. Service may be available that can do your crating at an average cost of around $100.
Prepare your transmission
You can protect your engine from damage during transport by packing it securely. Shipping in a crate provides the best protection. Prepare:
- To reduce the risk of injury, drain fluids from your transmission.
- Secure the transmission.
- Protect the transmission with blankets or cardboard.
- Use nuts and bolts to secure the crate.
Transporting a pallet requires at least half a pallet, ratchet ropes, stretch wrap, and 2x4's.
- Drain as much transmission fluid as possible.
- Take out any fragile parts to ensure they don't get damaged in shipping.
- Securely pack the removed parts.
- For better balance, place the transmission in the middle section of the pallet.
- Secure your 2 x4's with bolts or bands
- Protect all sides with cardboard, or a shipping blanket.
- Wrap the whole package in a stretch wrap (minimum 80 gauge).
- Take measurements and weigh the whole package.
Choose a carrier
Online quotes can be obtained by entering your zip code, weight, and dimensions of the package transmission. Compare multiple quotes. Know exactly what the quote covers. Is residential delivery possible/expensive, and is loading off/on included? If this is not included, you'll need to either purchase lift gate service (or have some extra help). Check for damage on delivery and get a bill of lading.
It is easy to ship a transmission. It should not be difficult to find a reliable vendor. You must prevent damage. For a stress-free experience, pack and secure your items carefully.