Here Are The Top 5 Things To Do Before Shipping A Car
It doesn't matter if you are moving across the country or purchasing a car online. Shipping your car is easier than driving it across the country. If you're a first-time shipper of a car, there are some things you should consider before giving your keys. You are responsible for your car's safety and security so make sure you work with a reliable shipping company. You also want to be clear about the process so that it is easy for you. These are some of the most important points to remember before you choose a car transportation service.
What is the cost?
This is the most common question people ask about auto shipping. However, the answer is dependent upon a variety of factors. These are just a few of the variables that can affect the cost of shipping a car.
- Your vehicle's make, model, and dimensions
- Distance of transport
- Comparing enclosed and open carriers
- Time of the year (some seasons are busier than others)
- Shipping costs include fuel
- Transporting an inoperable or oversized vehicle is one example of a special service.
Calling several auto shipping companies is the best way to get a precise estimate.
What is the time frame?
Next, consider how soon you will need your vehicle. Although auto shippers will try to provide an estimate of delivery time, it is just an estimate. Auto-shipment is not a guarantee of delivery and it is almost impossible to predict when delivery will occur. It's possible for delays to occur due to factors beyond the control of the company. There are many factors that could cause delays, including bad weather, traffic jams, and mechanical problems with the carrier. You should discuss expedited shipping options with your transport company if you need your vehicle within a specific time frame.
Find out who you are working with
You can start your search online for auto shipping companies. But, not all companies are the same. There are many scammers and businesses that claim to be what they aren't. Before you choose a car shipping company, do your research. Use the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website to verify the company's registration, licensing, and insurance. You can also find safety records for the company on this website. Spend some time looking at reviews, asking your friends, and even contacting Better Business Bureau. Be sure to ask lots of questions. This could indicate that the company is not willing or able to answer your questions.
Which type of transport will you need?
Auto-shipping is a choice. You can choose to use an enclosed or open carrier to transport your car. The most affordable and most widely used option is the open carrier. Your car could be damaged by the elements outside, so open carriers are not recommended. An enclosed carrier is another option that provides maximum protection from the elements for your car. Although this option is more costly, it is often used for exotic, new, antique, or luxury vehicles.
Preparing your car for shipment is a must
It is important to remember that you must prepare your vehicle for shipping. These are:
- Make sure to top off all fluids, and that you leave no more gas in your car than a quarter of a tank
- Make sure to wash the car's exterior so that any dents or scratches are visible.
- Photograph the exterior of your car and note any dents or scratches. These photos will be used as proof of the vehicle's condition before shipping.
- Take all personal belongings out of the vehicle
- All exterior accessories, such as luggage racks, bike racks, spoilers, and so on, must be removed.