Exact Car Shipping Quotes
How does a car shipping firm determine a quote for a vehicle?
People who ship cars often wonder about car shipping quotes. Sometimes they can be a source of contention. This is due to the lack of transparency in the auto transportation industry regarding how quotes are calculated for potential customers. Some of these are obvious while others aren't:
- Vehicle size You won't have to answer directly about the size of your car because most people don't know the information and aren't even sure how to find it. An auto transport company will instead ask for your make and model. This will allow the car shipping company to calculate the size of your vehicle.
- Shipping Date - When you ship your vehicle, the time of year will have a significant impact on the quote you get. Shipping during peak times will result in a slightly higher shipping cost. This is due to the fact that there are certain times of the year when shipping costs can be higher.
- Additional shipping options: If you want to upgrade your car shipment with enclosed transport or top loading, this will incur an additional charge. There are limited spots for these options and it requires more work on the part of the carrier.
- Distance This is the most obvious, but also the most crucial. The primary factor that determines the price of your quote is how far you will ship your car. It determines how much labor your carrier will need to perform during your transportation.
- The estimated cost of a carrier - The cost of a carrier is important because it includes fuel costs.
What accuracy is an auto transport estimate?
Auto transport quotes should be as accurate as possible. Car shipping companies understand that customers will not be satisfied with inaccurate or misleading quotes. It is important to remember that it is impossible for a shipping company to give a precise quote before the actual shipment date. It is impossible to provide a 100% accurate quote due to the many variables that constantly change.
This is why you should also be wary of companies that claim their quotes are "guaranteed". It is possible that they will give you an excuse as to why they require more money later on. Reputable auto transport companies can tell you that estimates are based on data.
Here are some tips to spot a precise quote
To make sure you get a valid quote, you can use these tips:
- Delivery window Any reputable quote will provide a delivery window or range of dates for your car. You cannot give an exact date for delivery. Therefore, any quote that gives you an exact delivery date is likely to be inaccurate.
- Price If one of the quotes you get is significantly lower than the other, it could be a bait-and-switch price. A dishonest car shipping company may ask for more money after they have your car and threaten to hold it until you pay.
- Online reviews- See what customers have to say about the accuracy of auto transport company quotes.
- Add additional options If the quote you receive does not include the possibility to add extra options, such as top loading or enclosed transport, then it is unlikely that the quote can be too accurate.
The final word
The car shipping quotes you get will not be affected by any of the few dishonest or shady car shipping companies. Keep in mind that the actual price you pay and the initial quote you receive could be slightly different due to factors beyond the control of auto transport companies.